Sunday, April 7, 2013

Recipe: Our Favorite Dinner Roll

Aunt Debbie's Quick Rolls

I'm sharing my go-to roll recipe with you today.  My aunt Debbie has made them ever since I was a kid and we would have them at a lot of our family get-togethers.  They are so good with leftover ham and a nice grainy mustard or on Thanksgiving with a piece of turkey sandwiched inside and dipped into potatoes and gravy :)
It's a very versatile recipe too.  It makes the most tender, flavorful caramel rolls or can be used to wrap around hot dogs to make Pigs in a Blanket. (I'll share those recipes soon too.) 
It's not a "Quick Bread", but it doesn't necessarily need to be kneaded and the rising time is less than most recipes.
Without further ado...

Ingredients:
4 c. Flour
1 tsp Salt
1 1/2 c. Milk
1/4 c. Butter
2 Tbsp Sugar
1 1/2 Tbsp Yeast

Directions:
In a small saucepan, melt the butter. Add milk and *scald.  Let cool to warm, then add sugar and yeast. (I remove the milk from the saucepan to a large shallow bowl to help it cool faster.)
I a large mixing bowl combine 2 c.flour, salt and milk mixture.  Mix well, then add up to 2 cups more flour a little at a time.  Do not add all if you don't need it.   Knead or stir dough until well mixed (doesn't need as much kneading as a traditional bread recipe). 
Cover, let stand for 30 minutes.  
Pull off golf ball size pieces of dough and form into rolls.  I tried to explain how I make my rolls but it was too confusing.  So I'll take pictures next time I make them :)
Place rolls next to each other in a greased 9x13 pan and let rise for 15 minutes.

Bake at 350 degrees Farenheit for 20-25 minutes or until browned.

Eat one right out of the oven with butter to make sure they taste ok.  

Enjoy!

* I don't know the technical definition for scalding the milk, but my aunt told me to heat it over medium heat until small bubbles form along the edges of the pan.  Do NOT boil. 


3 comments:

Jennifer said...

I love the old recipe. It sounds yummy.

Katrina - The Chicken Wire said...

Thanks :) I think a good indication of a tasty recipe is the wear and tear on the recipe card!

Dianna said...

Thanks for sharing this. I am looking for a good roll recipe and will add it to my list of recipes to try.