Saturday, August 22, 2015

Starting a Craft Business


Unbeknownst to most of you, we recently moved to a new home.  Hopefully this will be the last move for a long time. I'm giving you a quick tour(I'm showing most of the rooms empty because I still have random boxes here and there!) and then I have some fun info for you!

 What I really love about this house is that I have a room set aside for our homeschool, plus a room that we use as a library and storage.

Our new school room.

Library and Storage
View from our Kitchen into the Living Room

I am also excited about the fact that I have a permanent  sewing area with the intention to take over the dining room table for bigger projects!  Here's a little before and after of my sewing area and you can see some of the aprons I'm working on that will be listed soon.
After - Not loving the weird mirror.
Before
So here's the fun part!  I am in the process of beginning a business where I will create and sell many different kinds of handcrafted items. I am sharing a compilation of really helpful resources I found for starting your own craft business. I've been listening to podcasts and reading articles like crazy! I guess I had better get busy with sewing as well.
Without further ado, here are some that I have liked so far!

April Bowles-Olin- 9 part YouTube video series on how to create a blog to go along with your business.

 

Blacksburg Belle - A site worth browsing through for articles and inspiration.

 

Tara Gentile- Another site with lots of info.  This article explains that price is about so much more than cost.

 

While She Naps- List of podcast interviews with designers and makers about what it really takes to build a creative business.

 

Tara Swiger- A helpful article on how she plans in order to get everything done. 

 

CreativeLive - Need some inspiration to get you started?

Need some crafty ideas?

TipNut -Tons of free patterns, ideas, tutorials

 

Craftsy - Some free and paid patterns and tutorials.  The video tutorials I have seen so far have been amazing.  And they often send offers for free classes or patterns that you normally have to pay for.


I hope these are helpful!

No comments: