Monday, August 24, 2015

Teaching Sewing in Our Homeschool

We follow the Charlotte Mason method of homeschooling which includes doing Handicrafts.  My girls chose sewing as their handicrafts for this term of school.  To begin with, we are going to use this free Craftsy video on Sewing Machine Basics.  It includes printables to go along with the video tutorial. 
Then we are going to use these tutorials from www.schneiderpeeps.com.
Make a Felt Needle Book
Make a Pincushion
Make a Doll Quilt
Pillowcase Dress

I am pretty sure my 8 yr old will be able to improve in her skills enough to make the Doll Quilt but I think the 6 yr old will need a lot of help or I will have to find a much simpler project for her.  She really wants to learn to use the sewing machine though.  So we will do the needle book and the pincushion and see where we are from there.  I might preview this reversible tote class and see if I think she could handle it, when it gets to that time.

I am super excited to get started with them!  I put together little sewing kits for them and can't wait to pass them out!

How did you learn how to sew?  Do you still sew today?

No comments: