Saturday, October 20, 2012

With The Changes of the Seasons...(Frogs in Homeschool for PreK and K)

With the change of season from Summer to Fall comes a lot of changes.  The animals start growing in warm winter coats, the chickens lay less eggs, the garden has given up the last of it's produce and I feel the urge to sit down and write again :)
I also am in sewing, knitting, creating mode so my blog will be taking a turn in some of it's subject matter.  I will be including more sewing tutorials and sharing some homeschool inspiration. 
Today I will share some of our homeschool projects for next week.




FEED THE FROGS- Fine Motor Skills & Math


I'm not sure where I got this idea... I think I saw some other project and revised it to fit what we needed.  If anyone finds that someone else came up with this idea I would be happy to credit this to them. 
Supplies:
Cardboard Egg Carton
Scissors
Single Hole Punch
Acrylic Paint
Googly Eyes or Permanent  Marker
Hot glue gun & glue or Craft glue
Small Pom-Poms or cotton balls

Instructions:
1.Cut two cups out of the egg carton and even off the edges with scissors. 
2. Look at the cups and find one that has a wider raised spot to choose as the top of the head(you will glue or draw eyes on this wider spot).  Punch a hole in the back of this cup to make a spot for your child to put their finger through.  I punched one spot multiple times to make a spot big enough.  It was easier than using scissors to try and cut a circle.
3. The bottom part of the cup can be turned whichever way you prefer.  Punch a hole in that one too.
4. Paint the outside of the cups.  I used green Acrylic Paint and covered it with glitter.  I have two little girls who are firm believers that everything looks better with glitter.  Let dry thoroughly.  If your kids are anxiously waiting to try out the frogs you might use a hair dryer set on low.
5. Draw or glue eyes on.  I wanted googly eyes, but I can't find mine.

How to Use:

1. Fine Motor Skills
Scatter pom-poms on the floor or table and let your child "feed the frog".  You can use assorted colors of pom-poms and challenge them to only pick certain colors.

2. Math
Again scatter pom-poms but this time make requests such as "Let's see if the frog can find 3 pink pom-poms!"  I am also going to have the girls pick out certain numbers of pom-poms and let my older one add them together.  So for example,one child will be asked to find 4 green pom-poms and the other one to find 3 pink pom-poms and the oldest will add them together.

FROG AND LILY PAD MATCH-Math

This one is pretty simple. The idea came from a book I have titled: The Complete Resource Book-An Early Childhood Curriculum by Pam Schiller and Kay Hastings.  For this project I Googled Simple Frog Silhouette and Lily Pad Silhouette and traced them right from my computer screen ( I simplified the feet because I didn't want to cut out tiny toes!) with a piece of white paper and pencil to make a pattern.

Supplies:
Construction Paper
Scissors
Permanent Marker 
Frog & Lily Pad Pattern

Instructions:
1. Cut 5 frogs out of brown or dark green construction paper.
2. Cut 5 lily pads out of light green construction paper.
3. Draw 1-5 dots on each frog and lilly pad.  I added the corresponding number to the back as well.

How to Use:
Scatter frogs and lily pads on the table.  Allow your child to match the frogs to their lily pads by finding the matching amount of dots or the correct number.

Hope you have fun with these fun and easy activities!




No comments: