Friday, July 27, 2012

Lemon-Lime Mojito

I made this the other day when I wanted something refreshing to take to the fair with us and it was perfect!
I put it into our cooler/thermos so it was nice and cold the whole time we were there.
I was inspired to make it from a visit with my cousin. She made us fajitas and some amazing mojitos. I wanted something similar and knew generally what was in them and came up with this recipe that I really like.  While I didn't have a bunch of limes, I did have lemon and lime juice in the fridge.  There are instructions on the juice bottle on how much to use in lemonade so I basically made lemon/limeade and added the additional mojito ingredients.  We leave out the rum for a family drink but it's easy to add to individual servings if you would like.  You can also add a splash of club soda if preferred. I don't like it at all, but my husband likes to drink his with the soda in it.

Lemon-Lime Mojito (with or without alcohol)
Makes 1 gallon 


Ingredients
3 quarts cold water
1 cup sugar ( or use sweetener of choice)
1 cup water-additional
1 cup Lemon juice
1 cup Lime juice
1/4 cup Fresh Mint leaves
Optional-White Rum
Optional-Club Soda
1 Lime, cut into wedges
Ice




1.In a small sauce pan bring 1 cup of water to a boil.  Stir in 1 cup of sugar and stir until dissolved. This will be your simple syrup.  Set it aside to cool.

2.Fill a large gallon jar 3/4 full of cold water.

3.Add 1 cup lemon juice and 1 cup lime juice.

4.Add approximately 1/4 cup mint leaves.  I like to crush mine a little to release some of the flavor, but the flavor does get stronger as it sits.

5.Add the simple syrup. Stir and taste.  You can add additional water or sugar to taste.

6.Pour over ice into drinking glasses.  If desired add a splash of rum and club soda.

7.Garnish with a wedge of lime and a sprig of mint.

Enjoy!























No comments: