Monday, November 4, 2013

30 Days of Thanks: November 4th, 2013

Today I'm sharing how I'm thankful for the fact that we are able to have goats and fresh goat's milk.  
Sometimes I get caught up in the mentality of thinking of chores as, well, chores.  But when I take the time to enjoy the privilege, like this morning, I remember how much I really enjoy having the goats around and how great it is to spend time outside caring for them.  


On mornings like today when I go out by myself into the brisk Fall (even though there's snow) air and see the beginnings of a new dawn, I feel so satisfied with life.  So thankful to just be alive, to be a child of my creator.  It reminded me of the verse I read this morning in Proverbs 4 
"The path of the righteous is like the first gleam of dawn, shining ever brighter till the full light of day."

It was so peaceful to rest my head on the doe's flank and listen to the rhythm of the milk swishing into the bucket as the light streamed in through the door.

And there are other days where all three of my children trail along to the barn with me.  My six year old is learning to milk the goat and she will milk out one side as much as she can.  And the four year old likes to fill the grain buckets.  And the 20 month old likes to sweep the milk stand, and the step and the goat... You get the idea :)  Sometimes I get irritated that it makes chores go so much slower when they "help" or that they are chasing they chickens because they want to hold them.  But I am trying to just be thankful that they are spending time with me and learning to care for the blessings we have been given.




And the goat's milk really has been a blessing.  My son had a dairy intolerance when he was born and would have horrible stomach pains, diarrhea and even his skin would get irritated and almost infected in spots.  Once I stopped eating or drinking any dairy he improved greatly within a few days.  I didn't mind not consuming dairy in order to help him but I sure missed my daily mug of tea with a splash of milk in it.  Thus, I was SO thankful to get the goat's milk.  And as my little guy got older he was able to drink the goat's milk too.  His intolerance isn't as bad now and he can have some dairy.  But if he get's too much it upsets his tummy so we continue to give him only goat's milk.

So I'm thankful for my goat's who are our pets and who also provide such an appreciated part of our diet!




This post was shared on the following blog link-ups


Eclectic Momma

No comments: