Friday, May 24, 2013

Summer Vacation - Rest and Rejuvination!

Inspiration From Anne



We are just finishing Anne of Green Gables and I found this excerpt to be especially inspiring with regards to summer vacation.  I know quite a few families who school year-round, but we are all for summer vacation around here!  
Here's an excerpt from the book that I think makes my point.  :)  Whether you take a break or not, I hope you find a way for your heart to be "full of ambition and zest once more."

Pastel Sunrise

 “When Anne got home that night she stacked all her text-books away in an old trunk in the attic, locked it, and threw the key into the blanket box. “I’m not even going to look at a school book in vacation,” she told Marilla. “I’ve studied as hard all term as I possibly could and I’ve pored over that geometry until I know every proposition in the first book off by heart, even when the letters are changed. I just feel tired of everything sensible and I’m going to let my imagination run riot for the summer… I want to have a real good jolly time this summer, for maybe it’s the last summer I’ll be a little girl.”


“As a result, Anne had the golden summer of her life as far as freedom and frolic went. She walked, rowed, berried and dreamed to her heart’s content; and when September came she was bright-eyed and alert, with a step that would have satisfied the Spencervale doctor and a heart full of ambition and zest once more.”





And when it was time to return to her studies in the fall:

“I feel just like studying with might and main,” she declared as she brought her books down from the attic. “Oh, you good old friends, I’m glad to see your honest faces once more-yes, even you, geometry. I’ve had a perfectly beautiful summer, Marilla, and now I’m rejoicing as a strong man to run a race, as Mr Allan said last Sunday.”

No comments: